Friday, January 22, 2016

Top 25 Older Films I Saw in 2015

Ordet (1955)

Here are my favorite older films that I saw last year. Note: I didn’t count 2014 leftovers, like Mommy and Two Days, One Night, as older films.

25. The Tender Trap (Charles Walters, 1955)

24. Tuesday, After Christmas (Radu Muntean, 2010)

23. Dodge City (Michael Curtiz, 1939)

22. Felicia’s Journey (Atom Egoyan, 1999)

21. The Harder They Fall (Mark Robson, 1956)

20. The End of the Affair (Neil Jordan, 1999)

19. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor, 1923)

18. Christmas in July (Preston Sturges, 1940)

17. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains (Lou Adler, 1982)

16. Humoresque (Jean Negulesco, 1946)

15. Destry Rides Again (George Marshall, 1939)

14. Archipelago (Joanna Hogg, 2010)

13. The Exterminating Angel (Luis Buñuel, 1962)

12. The Thin Blue Line (Errol Morris, 1988)

11. Sister (Ursula Meier, 2012)

10. The Ladykillers (Alexander Mackendrick, 1955)

9. Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)

8. Mamma Roma (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1962)

7. The Firemen’s Ball (Milos Forman, 1968)

6. Micmacs (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2010)

5. La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)

4. Lola (Jacques Demy, 1962)

3. Kiss Me Deadly (Robert Aldrich, 1955)

2. Ordet (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955)

1. All That Heaven Allows (Douglas Sirk, 1955)

10 comments:

  1. YASSS!!!! Your #1 is, as you know, EVERYTHING!!!

    I love looking over this list and seeing films and going "I remember having that Twitter conversation with him" and "he saw that because of me" and "I saw that because of him" and "I still need to see that"

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 is all the feels.

      Haha, there's definitely that association with a lot of these titles. Love it! :)

      Delete
  2. Sadly, I have only seen Dodge City. At least it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that means you have some great ones to discover then. Hope you give some of these a try, Wendell.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, 2010 is older now. lol

    I haven't seen any of these, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's SO six years ago.

      See one of them! Any one. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love All That Heaven Allows so much, it's the most trenchant of the Sirk Hollywood films. Though I return to Written on the Wind and Imitation of Life more if I happen upon it or see that it's going to be on I'll watch it if I can. I can't say the same thing for Magnificent Obsession, ugh.

    I haven't seen all the rest but of the ones I have I agree with where Kiss Me Deadly landed. It does so much with the seemingly little that it had to work with.

    The only two that I'd rank higher are Dodge City which has always been one of my favorite Westerns, a great deal of that has to do with the Errol Flynn/Olivia de Havilland teaming. It my favorite of their films together, they're great together in Robin Hood but they spend so much time apart.

    The other is Humoresque, it's got so many wonderful parts aside from Crawford's career best performance. The music, noirish cinematography, Oscar Levant and with John Garfield opposite her it's one of the last pictures where Joan worked with an actor that had as strong a force of personality as she and who would push back in their scenes.

    They'd both be in my top 10 among the films. I was so disappointed in The Tender Trap though. I usually love Debbie Reynolds in everything but her character was noxious in this one even her natural charm couldn't overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of those films, but All That Heaven Allows towers over them.

      Kiss Me Deadly is just brilliant. It's amazing what they pulled off with a low budget.

      Oh, I love Dodge City and Humoresque. They are kind of low, but the list was crowded.

      Though I didn't expect to love The Tender Trap, I enjoyed every minute of it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'd say All That Heaven Allows of Ordet, both of which are now in my top 100 of all time.

      Delete