Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Consider: Chappie for Best Original Score


Reviews for Chappie have been lackluster, but I enjoyed the film, despite a severe lack of discipline in the screenplay. The film is all over the place tonally, and it's a mixed bag overall, with some redemption in Sharlto Copley's dedicated mo-cap performance, as well as the interesting themes the script explores.

Though, the finest aspect of the film is Hans Zimmer's score, which adds so much emotion to the movie. I actually thought director Neill Blomkamp had re-teamed with Ryan Amon (Elysium's composer), but Zimmer, as usual, delivers a powerful score. While the film will be overlooked during the next awards season, Zimmer's wonderful score deserves some consideration.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not interested in seeing this movie but not surprised Zimmer delivered once again, I'd think that the score is far better than the movie! There seems to be a touch of Vangelis in this particular theme, or maybe it's just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear some Vangelis in there, too. You can't go wrong with Zimmer. :)

      Delete