Tuesday, March 10, 2015

2014 CinSpec Awards Predictions Results

I couldn't even predict my own choices very well.

A year ago I tried to predict my 2014 CinSpec Awards nominees and winners (*). Let's see how poorly I did.

Note: I expected films like Mommy (which I still haven't seen) and Two Days, One Night would be 2015 releases, so they didn't factor into my predictions. Also, some of these films got bumped to 2015.

BEST PICTURE:
Boyhood*
Inherent Vice
Knight of Cups
Tom at the Farm
Under the Skin

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Inherent Vice)

BEST DIRECTOR:
Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Xavier Dolan, Tom at the Farm
Jonathan Glazer, Under the Skin
Richard Linklater, Boyhood*

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Glazer)

BEST ACTOR:
Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal, Rosewater*
Jude Law, Dom Hemingway
James McAvoy, Filth
Bill Murray, St. Vincent De Van Nuys
Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice

How I did: 0/5

BEST ACTRESS:
Jessica Chastain, Miss Julie*
Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nymphomaniac
Scarlett Johansson, Under the Skin
Keira Knightley, Laggies
Emmanuelle Seigner, Venus in Fur

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Knightley, but called the wrong movie for Chastain)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Josh Brolin, Inherent Vice
Joel Edgerton, Jane Got a Gun
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Philip Seymour Hoffman, A Most Wanted Man*
Ben Mendelsohn, Starred Up

How I did: 2/5 (predicted Brolin and Mendelsohn, but Hoffman was a lead)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Marion Cotillard, Blood Ties
Imogen Poots, Knight of Cups*
Uma Thurman, Nymphomaniac
Reese Witherspoon, Inherent Vice

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Thurman)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Foxcatcher
Gone Girl
Inherent Vice*
A Most Wanted Man
Under the Skin

How I did: 2/5 (predicted Inherent Vice and A Most Wanted Man)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Birdman
Calvary
Clouds of Sils Maria
Starred Up
Tom at the Farm*

How I did: 2/5 (predicted Birdman and Calvary, but Tom at the Farm was adapted)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
Beauty and the Beast
The Grand Budapest Hotel*
The Immigrant
Inherent Vice
Mr. Turner

How I did: 2/5 (predicted The Grand Budapest Hotel and Mr. Turner)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Knight of Cups
Lost River
Night Moves
Tom at the Farm
Under the Skin*

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Under the Skin)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
Beauty and the Beast*
Grace of Monaco
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Magic in the Moonlight

How I did: 2/5 (predicted The Grand Budapest Hotel and Inherent Vice)

BEST FILM EDITING:
Boyhood*
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
Interstellar
Knight of Cups
Locke

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Locke)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Interstellar*
The Monuments Men
Unbroken

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Interstellar)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
Begin Again*
Into the Woods
The LEGO Movie
Muppets Most Wanted
Winter's Tale

How I did: 1/5 (predicted Begin Again)

BEST MAKEUP:
Foxcatcher*
Maleficent
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

How I did: 0/3

BEST SOUND (MIXING AND EDITING):
Black Sea
Fury
Metro Manila
Noah*
The Rover

How I did: 2/5 (predicted Fury and Noah)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
Godzilla
The Hobbit: There and Back Again
Interstellar*
Jupiter Ascending
Transcendence

How I did: 2/5 (predicted The Hobbit and Interstellar)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The LEGO Movie*

How I did: 3/5 (predicted all 3, but had 5 nominees)

Overall (nominations): 25/88, or 28.4% (Ouch.)

Overall (wins): 6/18*, or 33.3% (Not much better.)
*including Hoffman, though he was in the wrong category.

Note: I did better here than with my early Oscar predictions (nominees - 27.7%, wins - 5%), though.

Watch out for my 2015 CinSpec predictions soon!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you did this. LOL at the Boyhood predicted love...

    Now see Mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Boyhood was IN when I first saw it. ;) I should see Mommy within the next few weeks!

      Delete