Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Predicting the 2014 CinSpec Awards

Linklater's Boyhood could be the big winner on my ballot next year.

In a foolhardy attempt, I decided to predict what my 2014 ballot will look like by this time next year. I'm curious to see how well I can predict my own choices, especially since I've only seen three films mentioned below. Obviously, I've overlooked some films/performances and deliberately left out others than might change the outlook of my ballot.

I expect a few titles to move to 2015, but I've tried to avoid that, leaving off questionable 2014 releases like Macbeth, Carol, Suffragette, The Water Diviner, Far from the Madding Crowd and Two Days, One Night. Have a look at my personal predictions below, with winner (*) guesses included.

BEST PICTURE:
Boyhood*
Inherent Vice
Knight of Cups
Tom at the Farm
Under the Skin


BEST DIRECTOR:
Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Xavier Dolan, Tom at the Farm
Jonathan Glazer, Under the Skin
Richard Linklater, Boyhood*


BEST ACTOR:
Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal, Rosewater*
Jude Law, Dom Hemingway
James McAvoy, Filth
Bill Murray, St. Vincent De Van Nuys
Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice


BEST ACTRESS:
Jessica Chastain, Miss Julie*
Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nymphomaniac
Scarlett Johansson, Under the Skin
Keira Knightley, Laggies
Emmanuelle Seigner, Venus in Fur


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Josh Brolin, Inherent Vice
Joel Edgerton, Jane Got a Gun
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Philip Seymour Hoffman, A Most Wanted Man*
Ben Mendelsohn, Starred Up


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Marion Cotillard, Blood Ties
Imogen Poots, Knight of Cups*
Uma Thurman, Nymphomaniac
Reese Witherspoon, Inherent Vice


BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Foxcatcher
Gone Girl
Inherent Vice*
A Most Wanted Man
Under the Skin


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Birdman
Calvary
Clouds of Sils Maria
Starred Up
Tom at the Farm*


BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
Beauty and the Beast
The Grand Budapest Hotel*
The Immigrant
Inherent Vice
Mr. Turner


BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
How to Catch a Monster
Knight of Cups
Night Moves
Tom at the Farm
Under the Skin*


BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
Beauty and the Beast*
Grace of Monaco
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Magic in the Moonlight


BEST FILM EDITING:
Boyhood*
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
Interstellar
Knight of Cups
Locke


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Interstellar*
The Monuments Men
Unbroken


BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
Can a Song Save Your Life?*
Into the Woods
The LEGO Movie
Muppets Most Wanted
Winter's Tale


BEST MAKEUP:
Foxcatcher*
Maleficent
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For


BEST SOUND (MIXING AND EDITING):
Black Sea
Fury
Metro Manila
Noah*
The Rover


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
Godzilla
The Hobbit: There and Back Again
Interstellar*
Jupiter Ascending
Transcendence


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The LEGO Movie*

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how many of these secure a nomination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll probably be more accurate with these predictions than with Oscar ones.

      Delete
  2. Plenty of films to look forward to! Inherent Vice, Boyhood and Interstellar I'm especially excited for, because of the directors. Charlotte Gainsbourg did a great job in Nymphomaniac, maybe her best performance. I'm curious what Scarlett Johansson is like in Under the Skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched Nymphomaniac: Volume 1 last weekend, and I can't wait to see the rest! Gainsbourg is terrific, as are Thurman and Skarsgard.

      I almost predicted Scarlett Johansson as my winner, but I thought I'd mix it up, as I've not given Chastain a win .

      Delete